In 1877 North Creek (NC) residents (situated generally along NC and NC Road) sought establishment of a school.1 After the inaugural 1922 Lennox Head (LH) Estate Auction and gradual growth of a village at Seven Mile Beach, the name LH appeared in residents’ groups.
Records reveal nine organisations campaigned for issues including ‘a permanent maintenance man for NC Road’2 (NC Progress Union 1923); a community recreation hall (LH Public Hall Committee 1925);3 general improvements in the village (LH-NC Progress Association 1930)4; administration of LH Town Improvement Fund5 where Council deposited a special rate levied on LH landowners for basic infrastructure and services (LH Advancement League 1955);6 condition of facilities in the village (LH Progress and Ratepayers Association 1957,7 amalgamating in 1958 with the Advancement League8); plus repairs, management (1968), update or replacement of the Community Hall9 (1979) by LH Social and Recreation Club.
Organisations waned, until 1 October 1980 when business proprietors formed LH Promotion Association.10 In 1982 this became LH Residents’ Association which persevered but without a president until 1988 when Brian Smith volunteered for the position, holding it for 19 years. The Association incorporated in 1989 to ‘act in the interests of LH residents and liaise with any appropriate bodies or person to further the development of LH’.11
Brian’s dedication to LH, the Association, working bees, Lake Ainsworth reinvigoration and, of course our Surfing Santas, was recognised in 2012 by naming the boardwalk for him.
Sub-committees were active, meeting changing needs of the village since 1989 including Heritage, Working Bee (now Coast Care), Library Support, Rating System and Youth Anti-social Behaviour (2008).12 Today’s vibrant sub-committees comprise Boomerang Bags, Coast Care, Friends of Lake Ainsworth (FOLA) and Heritage.
Sources: 1 Lennox Head Public School Centenary 1882-1982, Lismore 1982 p14; ,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 LHHC LH Progresses with the Aid of its Progress Associations, LHHC, 2008, Goonellabah ps62, 6, 9, 43, 45, 10, 54, 18, 69, 71, 72, 37, 56. Photos from: LHHC collection
Readers with information on this or other Landmarks of Lennox, please contact Robyn Hargrave, Lennox Head Heritage Committee (LHHC) by phone 0412 660 994 or email at email@example.com.