The Macadamia Castle has been one of the region’s most-loved tourist destinations for over 40 years. Many locals have fond memories of visiting as a child or bringing their own young family to the Animal Park or for pancakes. It is an important part of our community.
The opening of the new highway has seen a major downturn in business, but we have survived with the support of locals.
Since the new highway opened however, half our land is no longer usable due to noise from traffic and the RMS offers no noise mitigation support to businesses (only private dwellings).
We have solid plans for expansion to develop new animal enclosures and attractions but now have no space in which to grow.
Owner of the Macadamia Castle Tony Gilding has been in continual talks with the RMS, The Minister for Roads and the Small Business Commissioner to exchange the three noise affected acres for quiet land the RMS already own, adjoining our Park on Hinterland Way. This land is suitable for housing animals and providing safe attractions for families.
For three years we have been stonewalled by the RMS. No compensation has been requested or received. We are however requesting that the RMS exchange useful land to compensate us for the land that can no longer be used to allow our business to grow and ensure our future.
Ben Franklin National Party MLC and candidate for the Ballina State seat has been trying to help but with no success. The Roads Minister, Melinda Pavey also a member of the National Party, is not responding despite many reminders.
Ben has been telling us that he has been knocking on the doors of the Ministers but it appears they aren’t listening. We all need Ben to send a reminder to the Government that they are here to protect small business, not to destroy them.
The Macadamia Castle urges locals to show their support and urge the RMS to exchange the three acres to allow the Macadamia Castle to expand.
Top 11 Reasons to support the Macadamia Castle
- Employment: around 50 staff on payroll and $1 million in salaries annually
- Training: Sponsored over 30 trainees in the last 10 years in retail and hospitality
- TAFE: Workplace training for Cert III TAFE students every week at the Castle. This course cannot exist without this business. Over 50 students graduated in last 5 years
- Childrens Education: Host over 40 school groups or over 1,000 kids per year with educational programmes
- Free weekly kids playgroups during school term
- Sponsorship: Sponsor NORPA, Lennox Head Carols, Prawn Fest and many more community groups
- Community: Castle give over $20,000 in gifts to schools and charities each year to assist in fundraising
- Macadamia Industry Showcase. Castle is the showcase for the Macadamia Industry, the areas largest primary product
- Taxes: Over $700,00 per annum collected and paid in GST, PAYG, Payroll Tax, Company Tax Compliance fees and much more.
- Over $500,000 in purchases from local food suppliers and tradespeople
- Local electric vehicle charging station and one of the very few in the region