The 17th Annual Lennox Longboard Classic 2014 was held last weekend, Sat & Sunday 2nd & 3rd August, with 100 competitors covering 10 age & gender divisions.
The comp was surfed entirely on Lennox Main Beach breaks. Thanks to our major Sponsors, Being Bintang, Global Surf Industries & The Lennox Hotel.
Saturday was a sunny pristine day with a offshore wind most of the day, with a incoming tide, swell peaking at around 4 to 5 ft. All the heats of the comp were surfed basically in the morning session with 4 semi – finals for the Over 40’s & Over 50’s divisions in the early pm. Because of the pristine day many a spectators watched the longboarding skills from the good vantage points of the sanddune, fore park at Lennox Main Beach.
Saturday Night activity moved the comp crew to the Lennox hotel for the competitors board draw & giveaways, done at 730pm sharp just before the Rugby Union Super final between the Tahs (NSW) & Crusaders (NZ) The hotel was a buzz of people & the footy was followed by the Band Wilson Cooper with a Bintang Beer Promotion. Winner of the Mctavish Longboard Giveaway from Global Surf Industries was local Junior Kurt Hardy. Stoked was the word. And sunglasses from one of our valued sponsors for years, Dirty Dog Eyewear were given out to also a number of more stoked longboarders.
Sunday brought us rain but a wind that remained somewhat offshore, which kept the sea & conditions clean & a lucky incoming tide helped all competitors. Firstly Semi – finals were surfed Ladies, Over 30’s, Open 9ft, & Over 60’s followed by all the finals, with the Open 9ft being the last event & the presentation being held at the Lennox Hotel at 3pm.
Standout longboarders for the day, to name a few were Aaron Cooper- smith, Local Lennox head winner Open 9 ft , Joel Tilley from Burleigh Heads, winning the, Old Malibu/ Loggers & the Best noseride award & Roisin Carolan from Byron winning the Ladies Open again for the 3rd year in a row.
Winner of the Modern Malibu from Global Surf was David Spencer from Cabarita & The raffle board was a local lad from Lennox, Tag Fahey, presented at the Presentation. Monies from the comp are donated to organizations as in previous years, The NSW Cancer Council, Disabled Surfing association, Westpac Rescue Helicopter & the Lennox Head Surf-lifesaving club who remained with the comp all weekend for their water safety.
Success of an event like this is very dependent of Sponsorship & we would like to thank all our sponsors for coming on board for 2014.
Major Sponsors– Bintang, Global Surf Industries,
Divisional Sponsors– Old Guys Rule, Herron Todd & White, Alkali Fins, Stomp Surf wax, In the Pink Lennox, Dirtydog Eyewear, Surf & Snow Australia, Inner Beauty Lennox, The Lennox Hotel, Lennox Beach Resort, & Lennox Surf
Thank all that supported us in any form, Triple X Wetsuits , newcomer Boat Channel boardracks, Quattro Restaurant Lennox & all local businesses your support was fully appreciated.
And thanks goes to all competitors who surf the event, your participation was the foundation of our success.
And thanks to the crew of the Lennox Longboarders Club running the comp under again some adverse elements of weather, that was part of a successful weekend of longboarding at Lennox Head..
Mystery Event, Sponsor – Global Surf Industries.
1. Mick Getts (Cabarita). 2. Mark Goodwin (Lennox). 3. Kate Ashdown (Lennox). 4. Veronica Silver (Lennox). 5. Gary Ralph (Burleigh Heads) 6. Colin Small (Burleigh Heads).
Juniors (Peter Edmonds Memorial) Sponsor – Stomp Surf Wax.
1. Callum Gover (Lennox). 2 Jye Wyatt (Byron). 3. Dembe Ryan (Lennox). 4. Nathan Mackenzie (Lennox). 5. Kurt Hardy (Lennox). 6. Cory Hardy (Lennox).
Ladies Open, Sponsor Inner Beauty Lennox Head.
1. Roisin Carolan (Byron). 2 Mel Mott (Lennox). 3. Wendy Stevenson (Gold Coast). 4. Roz Mackenzie (Lennox)
Old Mal / Loggers, Sponsor – Alkali Fins.
1. Joel Tilley (Burleigh Heads). 2. Chris Cain (Lennox) 3. Matthew Benson (Yeppoon). 4. Gary Alford (Lennox)
Over 30’s, Sponsor – Surf & Snow Australia.
1. Gaz Donovan (Port Macquarie). 2. Aaron Cooper-smith (Lennox). 3. Ben McCabe (Lennox). Rob Rye (Lennox).
Over 40’s, Sponsor – In the Pink Lennox & Dirty Dog Eyewear.
1. Nigel Canterbury (Burleigh Heads). 2. David Spencer (Cabarita). 3. David Sullivan (Lennox). 4. Scott Seymour (Lennox). 5. Anthony Wheatland (Burleigh Heads) 6. Tony Anstee (Burleigh Heads).
Over 50’s, Sponsor – Lennox Surf.
1. Eric Walker (Ballina). 2. Mike Pimm (Cabarita). 3. Greg Gover (Lennox). 4. Steve Watts (Ballina). 5. Mark Muszynski (Ballina). 6. Darin Nobbs (Lennox).
Over 60’s, Sponsors – Old Guys Rule & Herron Todd & White.
1. Denis Carberry (Burleigh Heads). 2. Denis Lowe (Burleigh Heads) 3. Neville Smith (Gold Coast). 4. Ron Crowther (Cabarita).
Open 9 ft, Sponsors Bintang & Lennox Hotel.
1. Aaron Cooper – Smith (Lennox). 2. Joel Tilley (Burleigh Heads). 3. Scott Channon (Lennox). 4. Ben Dickens (Lennox).
Best Noseride Award, Sponsor Alkali Fins.
Joel Tilley ( Burleigh Heads)
Attached are 3 shots for the media, Junior Finalists, Open 9ft Finalists & Open Ladies Finalist.
Cheers & In surfing, Wayne Booth (Boothy) Club Secretary & Event Director 2014