The first month of the school year has been packed with activity and achievements at Southern Cross School with students excelling in the sporting arena, on the stage and in the classroom. Highlights of 2014 so far:
• A breakfast and special assembly was held for year 7 parents and their parents to welcome them to high school. Provided by the P&C the breakfast was a great chance for parents to meet the year 7 teachers in a relaxed setting.
• Despite a few showers of rain the high school swimming carnival was a huge success with records broken in the pool and many dazzling outfits being paraded around in fashions-on-the-field style. The champion house was Ulm who won by a convincing 100 points. The primary school held a twilight swimming carnival which saw Lyon take the house shield.
• A number of our primary and secondary students have been selected to represent the Far North Coast in basketball, volleyball, touch football and cricket. We look forward to updating you with some great results once the competitions begin!
• Cori Hardy in year 11 has been selected to join the NSW Blues under 18s hockey team, an amazing achievement for this talented young athlete.
• The year 12 Drama class had a ball on the annual Sydney excursion enjoying 3 days of city life, theatre and shopping. They attended 2 performances of OnStage, a showcase of exemplary HSC Drama performances, as well as The Lion King which was the undisputed highlight of the trip.
• Rehearsals are underway and excitement is mounting for this year’s MADD Production. Showcasing the talents of our dance, drama and music students, the production will be held at Ballina Players Theatre from 30th April-1st May. Tickets will be available from the school office in March and after the sell-out success of Big Things in 2013, we anticipate they will be snapped up quickly-Don’t miss out!