Health and nutrition tips from Sarita Merlo, Naturopath and owner of the Byron Bay Tea Company
TEN REASONS TO START THE DAY WITH LEMON/LIME WATER
1) The warm lemon/lime water helps purify and stimulate the liver.
2) The lemon/lime water helps bowels eliminate naturally and easily.
3) The liver produces more enzymes from lemon/lime water than any other food (according to A.F. Beddoe, author of Biological Ionization as Applied to Human Nutrition).
4) Warm lemon/lime water aids digestion. It’s composition is similar to saliva and the hydrochloric acid of digestive juices.
5) Lemons and limes are high in potassium. Potassium is an important mineral that works with sodium for smooth electrical transmission in the brain and nervous system. Depression, anxiety, fogginess, and forgetfulness can often be traced to low potassium blood levels. That same nervous system needs potassium to assure steady signals to the heart. So your heart health is improved from the lemon/lime water’s potassium.
6) Calcium and magnesium are plentiful in a good ratio to each other in lemon/lime water. Magnesium is important for heart and nervous system health and calcium helps build strong bones and teeth.
7) Lemon/lime water can help lower blood pressure. It has an alkalizing effect in the body as it is buffered. Even if you drink it just before a meal, it will help your body maintain a higher pH than if you didn’t drink it. The higher or more alkaline your pH, the more your inner terrain is resistant to disease.
9) Helps dilute uric acid, which if it accumulates it creates arthritic pain or gout.
10) Helps reduce phlegm in the body.