Motorists are being reminded to slow down and follow parking rules in school zones as students return to school.
Ms Helen Carpenter, Road Safety Officer (Ballina Shire Council/ Roads and Maritime Services) reminded motorists to slow down to 40 km per hour in school zones, which operate from 8.00am to 9.30am, and 2.30pm to 4.00pm during the school term. “Children are frequently hit by motor vehicles because they are smaller and less visible than adults and they can behave unpredictably in the road environment,” said Ms Carpenter “Lowering your vehicle speed will help reduce the incidence of children being killed or injured by motor vehicles”.
Motorists should also pay attention to school zone parking restrictions. Parking restrictions are in place to increase safety and access to schools in high demand times. Council Rangers will be monitoring school zones in the morning and afternoon, in marked and unmarked cars. Rangers will observe vehicle movements and take photographic evidence of illegal parking and stopping in prohibited and restricted zones. Penalty infringement notices and fines will be issued to drivers who break the law in school zones.
- NO STOPPING means you cannot stop in this area for any reason. Please do not stop in the No Stopping zone in the drop off and pick up area. It is illegal, disrupts the flow of the ‘Drop off and Pick up’ area and obstructs sight lines for drivers and children.
- CONTINUOUS YELLOW LINES mean the same as the No Stopping sign. Drivers must not stop at the side of a road marked with a continuous yellow edge line.
- PEDESTRIAN CROSSINGS You must not stop within 20 metres before a pedestrian crossing or 10 metres after a pedestrian crossing unless there is a control sign permitting parking. This ensures a clear view for pedestrians and motorists.
- INTERSECTIONS You must not stop within 10 metres of an intersection. This ensures a clear view of children crossing at intersections.
- BUS ZONE means you must not stop or park in bus zones.
- P2 means you can stop in this zone for two minutes to drop off and pick up passengers. You must not leave your vehicle.
- NO PARKING means you can stop for a maximum of two minutes to drop off and pick up passengers. You must stay within three metres of your vehicle at all times.
- DOUBLE PARKING. You may not stop on the road adjacent to another vehicle at any time to drop off or pick up passengers.
- NO STOPPING on PATHS/ NATURE STRIPS You cannot stop in this area for any reason.
- Dropping off or picking up from staff car parks, areas for taxis and other support vehicles. These areas have been designated for staff, taxis and other support vehicles. Please do not stop, park, drop off or pick up students from these areas.
- Park and walk. Allow yourself plenty of time to safely drop off and pick up your child.
- Kids Need a Hand in Traffic. Primary school children need to be actively supervised at all times in and around traffic to make them safer.