Photo courtesy of Ballina Shire Advocate, 7.9.1966
Lennox Head CWA formed in 1946 and meetings were held in a foreshore reserve shelter shed. By 1959 the group had raised £124 for two blocks of land at the corner of Ross Street and Pacific Parade, where volunteers constructed a building costing £343/18/8.
It was basic, lined with broken Masonite, never painted, no electricity or toilet. According to President Maree Anderson, ‘there was a nice size bush close by which was very handy’.
By 1970, fund raising, craft, hall hire and sale of one block of land realised $3,070 to build two extensions. The 27 members successfully campaigned for pedestrian crossings, school bus, flood warning signs, public telephones, mail delivery, doctor, chemist, life saver and Neighbourhood Watch.
They were shocked in 1986 when their property was resumed for caravan park extensions by Ballina Shire Council (BSC) who built a brick Hall in 1991 in Mackney Lane. With a 20 year contract, central location and steady membership, the future looked rosy.
But by 2015, when the building was incorporated into the Community Centre complex, the contract was not renewed. The Hall is administered by BSC who
agreed to ‘waive the booking fees for the CWA’s weekly use of the facility for the duration of the group’s existence in Lennox Head’.
Today’s handful of members, skilled knitters and crocheters, hold craft sessions Monday mornings in the Hall and welcome everyone. Despite reduced income, they provide Ballina Hospital with Trauma Teddies and Lismore Base Hospital with Premaknitting. Their quality work is for sale at Lennox craft displays.
Sources: Mrs Maree Anderson, handwritten notes in History of Lennox Head CWA, compiled by her daughter Marcia Smith, 2006; Ballina Shire Council, Minutes of Ordinary Meeting 28.05.15, Lennox Head Library.
Readers with information on this or other Landmarks of Lennox, please contact Robyn Hargrave by phone 0412 660 994 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.