Ginger and Shiitake Mushroom Pho
* 2 litres homemade or low-sodium vegetable broth
* 6 shallots thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
* 2 cloves garlic, sliced
* 1 Star Anise
* 1 cinnamon stick
* Salt to taste
* 1 1/2 tablespoon butter
* 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, remove tough stems
* 1 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
* 2 teaspoons sesame oil
* 250g rice or fresh egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions.
* Steamed broccolini
* Baby corn
* 2 chillies , thinly sliced
* Fresh coriander , Thai basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chili sauce or sriracha for serving.
1. In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth, shallots, grated ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, sliced garlic and salt. Bring to a full boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. The longer you simmer to more depth to the flavour.
2. While the broth is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 7 minutes, or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the hoisin and sesame oil and cook until the sauce thickens and coats the mushrooms, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
3. Divide the noodles between four large warmed bowls, then fill each bowl with the strained ginger broth.
4. Add steamed broccolini, baby corn, sliced chillies, shiitake mushrooms, Thai basil, and coriander and serve with lime wedges and chilli sauce.
5. Optional extras bean sprouts or snow pea shoots