Local Government elections will be held in September this year. To assist people that might be interested in becoming a Councillor, Ballina Shire Council will be hosting two candidate briefing sessions in July.
These briefings will be facilitated by Local Government NSW and will cover topics such as:
• Identifying the key requirements of becoming a councillor
• Recognising how the councillor role fits in with other roles and various levels of government
• Addressing key expectations and potential challenges in becoming a councillor
• Knowing how the councillor role fits in with the Integrated Planning and Reporting framework
• Understanding key elements of council meetings, including code of conduct and conflict of interest.
Byron Shire Council will also be holding the same candidate sessions. The dates and times for both sets of sessions are as follows.
Ballina Shire Council // Wednesday 20 July
Meeting Room 2, Kentwell Community Centre, 20 Bangalow Road, Ballina
Daytime session: 9.30am to 11.30am
Evening session: 6.00pm to 8.00pm
Byron Shire Council // Thursday 21 July
Council Chambers, Station Street, Mullumbimby
Daytime session: 10.00am to 1.00pm
Evening session: 6.00pm to 9.00pm
The briefings are not Council specific, and intending candidates can attend one or more sessions at either Ballina Shire or Byron Shire. For more information visit ballina.nsw.gov.au.